Pottery painter (plateelschilder) Joris Janszoon Mesch bought a house called De Fortuyn beside Lange Geer canal in 1661. It was here that the pottery of the same name was established. There were four potteries along this canal, with De Metaale Pot next door to Mesch’s pottery.
The fire inspection report (1668) reveals that ’t Fortuyn had only one kiln. After Mesch died in 1674 the pottery passed to his widow Judith Philipsdochter van Velsen. As was customary, she continued to use the IMES factory mark that had belonged to her deceased husband.