Cornelius Janszoon van der Graeff began De Nagtegaal on Vest (now Oosterstraat) in 1633. From 1648 onwards he rented the pottery to Samuel Pyreius van Berevelt, who also rented another building from 1650.
Van Berevelt established Het Hooge Huis there. He would later also rent the China pottery. The bankruptcy and death of Cornelis van der Graeff and his wife in 1649 signalled the end of De Nagtegaal.